- The first step is to reboot your system. When the GRUB comes, type e.
- Now you have to select the entry that begins with the kernel.
- At the end of the kernel entry type either single or s and hit enter.
- Now type b to boot the machine again.
- Go to the command prompt and enter the command passwd root for resetting the root password.
- Enter the new password for the root user. Don't forget this new password.
Thursday, March 14, 2013
How to recover lost root user password in Unix or linux
Creating a complex password is a very important issue in our life. So that no one hacks our password. The more complex is the password, the safer our account. However by creating a complex password, its become difficult to remember it and there is chance of forgetting the password.
In this article, we will see how to recover the lost root password in unix or linux like operating system. Follow the below steps to reset the root password of your unix or linux machine: